Thursday 7 January 2010

It's Only Thursday?

I guess you could say I'm not used to having a job.  It's only Thursday and I'm exhausted.  I have blisters on my feet and my body is sore.  I hope I get used to this quickly.

My job is going quite well.  Aside from some terminology differences and getting used to different software it's remarkably similar to what I did back home.  Well, that is to say parts of it.  In fact I have much less responsibility than I did there and subsequently much less stress.  I think I'm going to enjoy that.

The first day I showed up for work they handed me a new employee packet that contained a paper called the workers bill of rights or something to that effect.  The second item on the list was a statement that employees are entitled to four weeks of paid vacation per year!  It took me five years at my last job to earn three weeks of vacation.  And even though I had earned it they gave me a hard time when I wanted to use it.  I'm going to like working here.  They have a thing called a long service leave that entitles you to three months paid leave after seven years of work.

I had to buy a pair of shoes for work cause I didn't bring any with me from home.  I've been pretty much wearing nothing but sandals since we've been here.  Actually most of the last year if I'm being honest, unemployment has it's benefits as far as foot comfort goes.  The upshot is my feet are in rebellion.  Breaking in new shoes while being on my feet all day is just about all I can take.

I've been getting up early to eat some breakfast and leaving the house about 6:50.  That gets me to work about 7:40.  I leave work in time to catch the 5:17 and get home right about 6:00.  I'm living the suburban dream.  It's weird.

I don't have the energy needed to post anything interesting tonight.  We're trying to plan something fun for the weekend.  Maybe if I feel ambitious tomorrow I'll take the camera on the train with me and get some pictures of my commute.  We'll see.

Leah has been really busy her first week.  I've been trying to get her to post, but she's been tired as at the end of the day.

Some observations for today:

-Australians refer to the trunk of a car as the boot
-the hood is known as the bonnet
-this one has been bothering the crap out of me.  The word debut is pronounced dayboo.
-I'm somewhat of an oddity at work, and I feel a bit like I'm on display.  Several people have commented about how strong my accent is.  And way more people know my name than the other way around.
-a common thing to say here is something is ---- as.  Like this: that was cool as. or, I was sick as.  I'm not sure why they don't finish, but It's fun as to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment