Thursday 28 January 2010

My Internet Tubes are Clogged With Lard

Um yeah, turns out really slow internets are most annoying.  I'm not sure I'm gonna make it to Monday like this.

At the moment we're sitting in our apartment and sweltering from the heat.  Our aircon decided that it doesn't like us and refuses to cool us off.  We don't actually use it very often but the last few days have been particularly hot and almost unbearable at night. Have we complained loudly about the heat yet?  It's bloody hot and humid.  We've been told that February is the worst month as far as heat goes.  Here's hoping it isn't.

Today at work Kevin was picking my brain about America and we somehow got on the subject of roasting pigs.  You know how I love me some roasted pork, so I was telling Kev all I know about the subject.  Well, Kev, being the enthusiastic sort, decided that he really wants to roast a pig for his birthday next weekend.  He did quite a bit of calling around today and we found a place to buy a whole pig for $8.50 a kilo.  We're looking at a 20 kilo piggie (44lbs).  We also found a spit roaster to rent for $50.  It's on now.

Of course while on the subject of pig roasts we also discussed beverages. The idea of getting a keg was totally off of Kev's radar and now I know why.  We did some calling around and found the only place in Brisbane that sells kegs for private parties.  The price? $315!  That's including the $75 tap rental (non-refundable).  Some quick maths told us that is the same price as buying beer in bottles before we thought about ice, cups, a bucket etc...  What a shame.  Back home I was buying a keg of PBR for $56.  And I'm not even going to mention all the partial kegs of Sierra Nevada that we took home from parties. (What up Grand Lake Crew?!?)

And that, friends, is why you need not worry about us not returning to the US. Like I told the guys at work, I really like it here, but the price of beer is a deal breaker.

Some observations for today:
-Maths = Math
-Whinging = Complaining loudly, whining about stuff
-Struth, Bloody Oath = Yep, You Betcha
-bludgering = slacking off at work

No comments:

Post a Comment