Friday 29 January 2010

The Joys of Friday Take-Away

For the most part Leah and I try and live frugally.  We do our shopping on the weekend and try and plan our meals for the week.  We both pack lunches daily and avoid eating out.  Our dinners are home cooked and we enjoy the time together since we're apart all day.  However, one night a week we order take-away.  We're really enjoying the variety in our neighborhood.  There are plenty of options within a few minutes walk from our front door.

In the last few weeks, we've eaten at two different Chinese restaurants, a phenomenal Indian restaurant (twice) and the best Thai food I have ever had.   In fact I'm sitting here right now sweating from a combination of green curry and Moo Pud Prig Khing (pork with curry paste and green beans) and dreaming of the next time I can eat it.  It was that good.  

There are Asian restaurants aplenty that's for sure, but I have yet to find anything that you could call uniquely Australian.  I need to find a kangaroo steak somewhere.  Further research to follow.

On a different note, I've finished my fourth week of work and am feeling much more comfortable in my new job.  There are still some growing pains but I feel pretty good considering.  Nothing has made me feel at home here as much as working.  Plus, being around and having real conversations with Aussies all day gives me plenty of practice on my accent.  Which at this point varies, in the opinion of my coworkers, from "pretty good" to "weird".  I reckon by the time we've been here for two years I should be able to fool most locals.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment