Monday 10 May 2010

International Sessions

I feel pretty crappy today. Actually I've felt pretty "shithouse" since Thursday or so.  I have a wicked sore throat and I'm tired and weak.  I went to a Doctor today because I thought for sure I had strep throat.  He told me to get plenty of rest and took my $35.  Harden the fuck up Toddy. (btw that link is pretty much not safe for work because of thousands of F bombs)

Most Australians have health care paid for by the government.  They seem totally happy with the arrangement.  I was explaining to someone at work that one of our friends had a baby at a midwifery and they couldn't get their brains around it.  Kev told me that he had once called an ambulance for a rash.  I think he was exaggerating but you get the point.  Medical bills are not a burden that Australians are saddled with.  Sure they pay a lot of taxes but they never have to worry about the bank taking their house because of an accident at work or a chronic illness. Marinate on that for a minute.

I on the other hand have to pay $35 for a "Doctor" to take a two second peek at my throat and tell me to get rest and plenty of fluids.  he told me to go home and rest, so I went back to work.  Damn today kinda sucked.

Ok, it wasn't all that bad.  In fact I made a huge step today and got myself an Australian driver's license.  Yep, I'm all legal now baby.  In fact if you stole my wallet you'd think I was an Aussie.  I just had a little pang putting the Colorado license in a drawer.

Australia's biggest loser has been replaced on the TV these days with "Master Chef" but the nights are pretty much the same.  We're watching "Knocked Up" at the moment and I'd forgotten how funny it was.  I'm knocking back a cuppa with lemon and honey trying to will my throat better.

Leah just said I should put some pictures of the car on the blog.  I'll try and remember to take some photos soon and get them up here.  In fact I'm overdue for photos in general.

Quick shout out to all of you that Skyped from Luke's B'day party in the D.  That was the most fun I've had in a long time.  Leah and I really miss you guys and it was great to see so many of you at once.  Leah was totally jealous that she wasn't home.  International "Sorry for Partying!"

1 comment:

  1. Keep going to that doctor, he's cheap! Mine charges at least $60, but I do get some of that back through Medicare. Also you do realise we have paid sick leave, so you could always take the doctor's advise...... and still get paid.

    PS Vowels arrrggggg!!!!

    ReplyDelete