Tuesday 9 February 2010

Talk Thai on Taco Tuesday

Taco Tuesday is in the books.  I'm stuffed and happy.  Leah is busy studying for her finals and I am doing some research into our weekend plans.  We are borrowing a car this weekend and are planning a camping trip up the coast somewhere.  I don't have a lot of energy for writing tonight and so I'm going to keep it short.

We've talked some here about the abundance of Asian food here in Brissie.  We are only a couple of minutes walk from at least a dozen awesome Asian restaurants.  Personally I have been really inspired to learn to cook with an Asian pantry.  Usually my kitchen trends toward Italian and Mexican styles. In fact there is a lot of crossover between the two as far as ingredients go. I really only have one or two Asian dishes in my normal repertoire.

I wouldn't say Leah is a picky eater, but in the past she has been somewhat less adventurous than I have been food-wise.  Where I'm an admitted food whore, Leah approaches new cuisine with reticence.  So when we find something new that she likes it's pretty exciting.  Recently we've found a few Indian dishes that she likes and a few weeks ago we found a couple of Thai recipes that she really likes.
Thai Green Curry with Beef and eggplant

By far our favorite so far is Thai Green Curry.  A savory stew of meat and vegetables in a spicy mixture of chilies, Thai herbs and coconut milk.  Something about it really rocks my world.  On Sunday we made our first attempt at cooking it at home.  We had found a jar of green curry paste at an Asian market the week before.  Coincidentally we were talking to Andrew and Melissa and they had just made a green curry themselves and had actually made their own paste. Melissa gave us a healthy portion of the paste she had made so we didn't even have to crack open our jar.  I have to say, her paste made a green curry that was just as good as any we've eaten in a restaurant and I'm not so sure I even want to open that jar anymore.  I'm just gonna steal Melissa's recipe and make it myself.

I'd post a recipe here but I'm too lazy.  Do yourself a favor and get on the Google and find one for yourself.

Here's a photo of me about to dive in.  I wanted to take a picture of her, but she told me there haven't been enough photos of me lately.

In the "after" shot I have a sweaty upper lip.

3 comments:

  1. Post the recipe Toddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to bother posting it Todd, Kate, just google Nigel Slater Thai Green Curry and up it comes. My sincerest apologies to Leah, I totally forgot she is allergic to coriander (cilantro) or maybe she isn't as allergic as she thought.... glad you enjoyed it - we did! Sometimes Thai green curries can be SO hot you can hardly taste anything, but this one was flavoursome but still had a bit of punch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loves me some thai curries..all of them, green, masman, etc.

    Todd when you ever get back we have got to get you to U.S. Thai...best curry in town!!

    Going to try this recipe posted above too. j.ellis of the pci and now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete